Starting over. (and over. and over. and over.)

About three weeks ago, I got a commission on a new egg.  It was a baseball themed egg (Yankees, which is convenient as I live not too far from the stadium and was born with my pinstripes), and I got to work on it straight away.  (*yes, yes, I know the Mets made it to the Series. I already congratulated my friends who are Mets fans.  I hope the Mets take it- they’re due.)

Immediately, I ran into a problem.  The NYY logo, whilst a really iconic piece of graphic design, has some inherent and serious flaws when you try to carve it out of a small egg.  This is one of those instances where a larger egg would work more efficiently, because the shells are significantly thicker and hold up better under carving strain.

Two posts ago, I highlighted all of the areas on the logo that were problematic. Let’s review that.

This is the original egg I had been working with.  The blue areas represent potential problems. All of them are actually the same problem- when you carve out material around three sides of an area to create a peninsula, the single point of attachment is very fragile. Without additional structural support, the torque of carving twists the egg such that those points will almost always shatter.

And shatter they did. Over, and over, and over again.  Normally I can get an egg out in a week.  But time kept ticking and I was no closer to having a usable egg.

In the middle I had two hard event deadlines I had to meet, so I put the egg down and finished all of those items and then decided to redesign the entire thing, and go with a different NYY logo- the one with the hat sitting on the bat.

This is overall, less problematic in some areas, but just as much of a problem in others.  The logo in question is this one:

The problem with this logo (forget the text- there’s no good way to carve that onto a surface this small) is that the hat overlaps the stitching on the upper right side. This leaves you with a series of nearly impossible choices in terms of how to carve the thing, because cutting out the red areas mean the whole design falls apart near the top, and cutting out the white areas leaves nothing for the blue part around the bat to hold onto.  It winds up being a complete mess of decisions.

I tried to fix it by just altering the angle of the hat so it didnt overlap the stitches. Though technically, this actually worked, in the sense that the egg didn’t break, it was a terrible idea in terms of how it looks. It just looks WRONG.  Like, fantastically, horribly, awfully WRONG.  It’s sitting on my desk in front of me and after days of working with it I realize that there’s no way I can really fix it because it’s a proportion issue.  The bat is too wide, the angle of the hat is wrong, and the whole thing just looks off-model.  I dont even want to photograph it. I keep looking at it angrily.

(this by the way, is the problem with replicating logos of any kind- they are designed as two dimensional objects on a flat surface, putting them in 3d on a curving surface is fraught.)

So now I have an egg that’s carved and bleached and painted but… it’s not right. and Im not sending it out until it’s right.  so…..Im now starting it AGAIN.  Back to my original design, but modified.  I made the logo smaller, which doesnt SOLVE the problem but it makes the distance I have to deal with much shorter, and hopefully less shatter prone.  I’ll probably also shore up the peninsulas with a glue wash to help hold them steady.

But the egg won’t go out until it’s right.  (Sorry, Randy, Im still working on it!)

Also, this is the last few days of the skull egg sale, so if you haven’t ordered yours yet and you meant to, get moving!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: